Everyone has their own perspective of looking at life. Some people have the luxury of having random things happen to them; unexpected windfall, great joy, sudden rush of luck, or maybe your klutziness upsetting a coke can on a girl, who in 50 years, will kiss you Good morning. Those are the lucky ones. For someone like me, life has become a series of Post-its. Lets just say that honestly, one of the manifestations of my Post-it habits, is this blog.
I like Post-its. The dude who invented those little addictive pieces of yellow paper, which ends up dictating the terms that you live your life is a freaking genius and off course, a gobbling gazzilionaire. Modern technology has tried to take over..failed miserably though! PDAs, phones that have reminders, squaking chicken alarm clocks and what not..yet man cannot move on from primitive ways of writing on the back or palm of his hands to making Post-it's.I started this habit when i thought i needed order in life. I d stick them everywhere..fridge..check, walls..check..,bathroom mirror..check..in front of the loo..check..! It definitely ran my entire life.
Anyways..like I was saying, as I run by my life, School...College..score marks to be successful, impress the teachers, stand in the spotlight,guitar lessons, Football, Swimming, Seminars, Essays and God knows how many things, I believe that my life, or rather, everyone else's in these here days, has become a wall full of tacked up Post-it's. And these are all the hopes, dreams and aspirations.. the cumulation of garnered expectations of the multitudes of people around you.
Everyday..every single day.. we stack up on them. Parents, teachers, employers, girlfriend, wife, kids, neighbors, society, country..and God. We have to live with all these burdens crushing our back. I just imagine myself as a kid when I had to lug around those heavy duty backpacks. The ones that would fit all your textbooks, notebooks, tiffin, extra work and all that. As kids we had to carry so much junk, the straps of those bags would bite into your flesh and the bag would remind us about the presence of gravity and how it wanted to drag us to the floor. As we grow up, the physical demands of that bag vanish and instead, you have this mental luggage. Fulfilling wishes, making your favorite teacher proud, being there for your girlfriend when she needs it the most, guiding your brothers, being a part of a family when its in due need, and of course the friends who come calling only to see their intentions through.
I can't believe how full my head had become filled with mindless praise and the unwarranted expectations of others. Sometimes it's amazing how when everyone expects us to be perfect, falling short of those expectations - irrational as they may be - can be a really terrible thing. And sometimes, even when we do succeed, it's no longer the cause for celebration that it ought to be. But the real kicker is that when you don't quite achieve what you were supposed to, the closer you get to the goal, the worse it is. "The sky's the limit," you say? I think not, sir. The limit is the sky, and every inch higher that you soar in failure just means that you have further to fall on your way back down. But I think that it's all taught me something really important. I've learned to shrug off all of the excess baggage and expectations that other people put on me, and to take pride in and truly enjoy all of the successes and achievements in my life - grandiose or seemingly insignificant as they may be - because they really do matter, and should never be ignored or treated as insufficient. And, I'll tell you another thing. I wouldn't wish that burden of living up to someone else's expectations onto anybody else, individually or collectively. Because in football or in life, everyone has the right to enjoy all of what they do; even though this can sometimes be easily forgotten from an angry fan's perspective.
i just wish, somehow, that this burden of expectation be relieved. I really, really could use a break right now. I really want to get done with college, and start writing. I really want to do something that I love to wake up and do with a smile. I donot want my life to be run like the normal 9-5 average joe on the street. I want to be able to let go of normalcy and act goofy for once without having people to judge me.I just want to let go of this backpack and end up on the side, where i could just enjoy breathing in the air, and stopping to smell donuts down the street or have a cuppa tea and read by the beach. I want life uncomplicated. Its a simple wish and I just hope that people would understand the power of an expectation.
I like Post-its. The dude who invented those little addictive pieces of yellow paper, which ends up dictating the terms that you live your life is a freaking genius and off course, a gobbling gazzilionaire. Modern technology has tried to take over..failed miserably though! PDAs, phones that have reminders, squaking chicken alarm clocks and what not..yet man cannot move on from primitive ways of writing on the back or palm of his hands to making Post-it's.I started this habit when i thought i needed order in life. I d stick them everywhere..fridge..check, walls..check..,bathroom mirror..check..in front of the loo..check..! It definitely ran my entire life.
Anyways..like I was saying, as I run by my life, School...College..score marks to be successful, impress the teachers, stand in the spotlight,guitar lessons, Football, Swimming, Seminars, Essays and God knows how many things, I believe that my life, or rather, everyone else's in these here days, has become a wall full of tacked up Post-it's. And these are all the hopes, dreams and aspirations.. the cumulation of garnered expectations of the multitudes of people around you.
Everyday..every single day.. we stack up on them. Parents, teachers, employers, girlfriend, wife, kids, neighbors, society, country..and God. We have to live with all these burdens crushing our back. I just imagine myself as a kid when I had to lug around those heavy duty backpacks. The ones that would fit all your textbooks, notebooks, tiffin, extra work and all that. As kids we had to carry so much junk, the straps of those bags would bite into your flesh and the bag would remind us about the presence of gravity and how it wanted to drag us to the floor. As we grow up, the physical demands of that bag vanish and instead, you have this mental luggage. Fulfilling wishes, making your favorite teacher proud, being there for your girlfriend when she needs it the most, guiding your brothers, being a part of a family when its in due need, and of course the friends who come calling only to see their intentions through.
I can't believe how full my head had become filled with mindless praise and the unwarranted expectations of others. Sometimes it's amazing how when everyone expects us to be perfect, falling short of those expectations - irrational as they may be - can be a really terrible thing. And sometimes, even when we do succeed, it's no longer the cause for celebration that it ought to be. But the real kicker is that when you don't quite achieve what you were supposed to, the closer you get to the goal, the worse it is. "The sky's the limit," you say? I think not, sir. The limit is the sky, and every inch higher that you soar in failure just means that you have further to fall on your way back down. But I think that it's all taught me something really important. I've learned to shrug off all of the excess baggage and expectations that other people put on me, and to take pride in and truly enjoy all of the successes and achievements in my life - grandiose or seemingly insignificant as they may be - because they really do matter, and should never be ignored or treated as insufficient. And, I'll tell you another thing. I wouldn't wish that burden of living up to someone else's expectations onto anybody else, individually or collectively. Because in football or in life, everyone has the right to enjoy all of what they do; even though this can sometimes be easily forgotten from an angry fan's perspective.
i just wish, somehow, that this burden of expectation be relieved. I really, really could use a break right now. I really want to get done with college, and start writing. I really want to do something that I love to wake up and do with a smile. I donot want my life to be run like the normal 9-5 average joe on the street. I want to be able to let go of normalcy and act goofy for once without having people to judge me.I just want to let go of this backpack and end up on the side, where i could just enjoy breathing in the air, and stopping to smell donuts down the street or have a cuppa tea and read by the beach. I want life uncomplicated. Its a simple wish and I just hope that people would understand the power of an expectation.



