A few weeks ago, a friend who s a B.M.M. student, sent me a link to this YouTube video, a shot from a short French movie, in which a gentleman boards the subway where everyone is silently absorbed in their own world. Suddenly, out of the blue, the gentleman begins laughing uncontrollably. This causes the lady next to him to begin laughing and within a few short minutes the whole train is filled with people laughing.
An intense chain reaction of laughter.
A sight which could only be found on the Western Front. People from the Subcontinent, would think you were on the verge of a major nervous issue..read stark raving madness. Not one word was uttered there--all you hear are the sounds of people laughing. I even found myself giggling and grinning from ear to ear as I viewed the video. At end of the movie, the gentleman departs the train and once silence fills the air as the passengers return to their pre-laughter state. At this point I realized how contagious our emotions, especially laughter, are on others.
Growing up I always wanted attention drawn to me. I had to be in the spotlight.I did everything I could to get into situations that would make me end up feeling silly or embarrassed or worse make me look like I had no clue what in the world I was doing, at the end of it all.. I'm not too sure if this was caused by my type A personality, but I know it was really difficult for me to sit on the side-lines.
But, as everybody can relate to, one conforms to social and peer pressure.I didnt like to put myself out there for others to see the imperfections--imperfections that many times I focused on all too frequently.However, thankfully with age and a tad of wisdom, I am learning to let go of what others think of me. That still doesn't mean I don't get embarrassed or as we say in the south, flustered when I can't quite master a new activity.I ve started re-learning to regain the feeling I had in my childhood years. Learning to get out there on the field. Learning to laugh in the face of adversity.
So enjoy a little laughter along the way. Life is too short to take it too seriously all the time. My challenge for you is, if you come across someone who is not in a great mood, I ask that you put on an extra smile and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised what an impact your emotions have on others.
The only thing is to concentrate on yourself and care a hoot about what the world would think.Do your own thing. Hold Your Own. And go your own way. The question you then ask would be :Do you believe your emotions impact others around you? Have you found yourself in a good mood only to pulled into someone else's bad mood? Are you willing to laugh in the face of adversity?
An intense chain reaction of laughter.
A sight which could only be found on the Western Front. People from the Subcontinent, would think you were on the verge of a major nervous issue..read stark raving madness. Not one word was uttered there--all you hear are the sounds of people laughing. I even found myself giggling and grinning from ear to ear as I viewed the video. At end of the movie, the gentleman departs the train and once silence fills the air as the passengers return to their pre-laughter state. At this point I realized how contagious our emotions, especially laughter, are on others.
Growing up I always wanted attention drawn to me. I had to be in the spotlight.I did everything I could to get into situations that would make me end up feeling silly or embarrassed or worse make me look like I had no clue what in the world I was doing, at the end of it all.. I'm not too sure if this was caused by my type A personality, but I know it was really difficult for me to sit on the side-lines.
But, as everybody can relate to, one conforms to social and peer pressure.I didnt like to put myself out there for others to see the imperfections--imperfections that many times I focused on all too frequently.However, thankfully with age and a tad of wisdom, I am learning to let go of what others think of me. That still doesn't mean I don't get embarrassed or as we say in the south, flustered when I can't quite master a new activity.I ve started re-learning to regain the feeling I had in my childhood years. Learning to get out there on the field. Learning to laugh in the face of adversity.
So enjoy a little laughter along the way. Life is too short to take it too seriously all the time. My challenge for you is, if you come across someone who is not in a great mood, I ask that you put on an extra smile and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised what an impact your emotions have on others.
The only thing is to concentrate on yourself and care a hoot about what the world would think.Do your own thing. Hold Your Own. And go your own way. The question you then ask would be :Do you believe your emotions impact others around you? Have you found yourself in a good mood only to pulled into someone else's bad mood? Are you willing to laugh in the face of adversity?
NAT King Cole - Smile [1952]
Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile



