Anonymity is nearly impossible on the Internet in this day and age. It was one of the reasons that I waited a long time before starting a blog. I have never been one to reveal my innermost thoughts and feelings, but lately I have revealed much more about myself in this blog than I do to most people. Today I share something that very few people know about me - my childhood nickname.
From a very young age my dad began calling me by the name “Nunu.” Most little boys get pet names like their abbreviated names, like AJ or JC, you know, cool guy nicks. I got Nunu. What does it mean? You got me there. All I know is that until I my mom started calling me Syddie, I had to live with Nunu.My grandparents are the only ones that are allowed to call me that.That name is firewalled to the rest of you.Those of you who know my real name know that it cannot be shortened anymore than it already is.[Without making it sound like a girl.Growing up, all my family and friends knew I was “Nunu.” My dad called my younger brothers “Chippy” and "Dadu”. Some of my dad’s friends still refer to us by our childhood nicknames. Actually, we still answer to those names when called by them. Old habits die hard. My dad’s sister, called me weird names like Sweetie and Tootie, respectively (probably because she felt sorry for us).
My best friedns picked after mom and call me Syd, Syddie, Sydster, Syddu...until my brother gave me the name, Sneaky Syd...cos i used to steal his chocolates lol.
You guys must be wondering about why I am rambling about nicknames and stuff right. Well, i just came to know that our "Sponsor" in Oman, Sheikh.Ali passed away from a cardiac arrest.The man loved me, bought me chocolates and teased me in Arabic everytime i met him.Plus, he smelled really good, and had the most wonderful cars in his garage.But, I loved him mostly because he could never remember my name ever..and he gave me the nickname that possibly is the mostspecial one that I ever had..Cos that one was associated to Drakkar Noir,Nissan Birmingham VIP,Incense,Loads of pistachios,badams and assorted nuts, toys and a warm smile and hug.He laughed and teased me telling me, 4 months ago, that I was a "RIJAL" - a MAN, crimped with his hearty belly shaking laugh.HIs death came as a rude shock, as i would nt see that sweet man ever again, or hear his voice on the phone. I ll always miss him callin me "Laafi"..arabic for "the one who always smiles".The last time I heard that was at the airport 3 weeks ago.
Old habits do die hard; don’t they? I guess that s one habit down..RIP S.Ali

That's a pic i took of his favorite grand daughter, Zahra...my fave person in Muscat
From a very young age my dad began calling me by the name “Nunu.” Most little boys get pet names like their abbreviated names, like AJ or JC, you know, cool guy nicks. I got Nunu. What does it mean? You got me there. All I know is that until I my mom started calling me Syddie, I had to live with Nunu.My grandparents are the only ones that are allowed to call me that.That name is firewalled to the rest of you.Those of you who know my real name know that it cannot be shortened anymore than it already is.[Without making it sound like a girl.Growing up, all my family and friends knew I was “Nunu.” My dad called my younger brothers “Chippy” and "Dadu”. Some of my dad’s friends still refer to us by our childhood nicknames. Actually, we still answer to those names when called by them. Old habits die hard. My dad’s sister, called me weird names like Sweetie and Tootie, respectively (probably because she felt sorry for us).
My best friedns picked after mom and call me Syd, Syddie, Sydster, Syddu...until my brother gave me the name, Sneaky Syd...cos i used to steal his chocolates lol.
You guys must be wondering about why I am rambling about nicknames and stuff right. Well, i just came to know that our "Sponsor" in Oman, Sheikh.Ali passed away from a cardiac arrest.The man loved me, bought me chocolates and teased me in Arabic everytime i met him.Plus, he smelled really good, and had the most wonderful cars in his garage.But, I loved him mostly because he could never remember my name ever..and he gave me the nickname that possibly is the mostspecial one that I ever had..Cos that one was associated to Drakkar Noir,Nissan Birmingham VIP,Incense,Loads of pistachios,badams and assorted nuts, toys and a warm smile and hug.He laughed and teased me telling me, 4 months ago, that I was a "RIJAL" - a MAN, crimped with his hearty belly shaking laugh.HIs death came as a rude shock, as i would nt see that sweet man ever again, or hear his voice on the phone. I ll always miss him callin me "Laafi"..arabic for "the one who always smiles".The last time I heard that was at the airport 3 weeks ago.
Old habits do die hard; don’t they? I guess that s one habit down..RIP S.Ali

That's a pic i took of his favorite grand daughter, Zahra...my fave person in Muscat


